Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

thankful thursday - God's Word



We have been so busy with the revival here in Fayetteville, Arkansas, I haven't had any time to blog, but I did want to join my awesome friend Greg with THANKFULness today! I am so thankful for the way gives us His Word and we find so much peace and solace there.

The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup... (Psalm 16:5)
(thank you Lord, that You are my portion)

Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I am weak... (Psalm 6:2)
(Oh, thank you Lord, for your infinite mercy)

And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD; it shall rejoice in His salvation . (Psalm 35:9)
(thank you Lord for putting JOY in my soul!)

Now the Lord is that Spirit; and where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.  (2 Cor. 3:17)
(Oh, thank you Lord that there is freedom and liberty through YOU)

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.- (Galatians 2:16)
(thank you Lord that I don't have to depend on my works to save me  but that through my works I bring glory and honor to you!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~



I love listening to Travis Cottrell sing praises to God. He has a true and authentic love for God. I had the honor of meeting him in person back in January and truly the joy of the Lord was present in his spirit and on his face.

So when I was presented with the opportunity to read and review his new book that was just released by Zondervan and titled Surprised by Worship, I was thrilled.  I was looking forward to seeing what God had placed on his heart to put down on paper in contrast to what He usually places in his heart to bring forth in song.

In his book, Travis leads us through the many facets of worship and really opened my eyes to the magnitude of all that worship encompasses. We tend to put our own interpretation of worship in a box and close the lid tightly. Travis encourages us, through the Word of God, to "let God astonish us with the unexpected". The true surprise of worship.

Worship is the place where God meets us. Where our hearts connect. The book guides us down the worship road with new understanding of how joy, trust, hope and surrender all make up that wonderful experience of true worship.

I enjoyed every page of this book and highly recommend it for anyone that desires to expand their view and their act of worship. It will give you a new awareness of the reason we worship our Creator and put a new longing in your heart to wholeheartedly lift your voice in praise and worship to the King of kings.

8 comments:

Jackie said...

Praying that you've had a mighty outpouring of His Spirit at your revival and lives are being changed!!!

Thank you for the book review....gonna have to get a copy of Surprised by Worship....sounds wonderful!!

Blessings to you and yours!

HE IS FAITHFUL!!

Love and Hugs!
Jackie

Angel said...

Great book review!! Sounds like a good one.

I have been away a bit and had no idea you all were doing a revival in Fayetteville!! That's only about 3 hours from me!! Would loved to have come!!

Hope all is going well!!

Love you my friend

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful thankfulness.
I will have to check out that book...my husband was a praise and worship leader for years and I am sure he would enjoy it also.

Nana Jul said...

I am so Thankful you did the book review, I think it sounds wonderful. I can't wait to hear all about the revival! Praying daily for you there!!
Love,
Julie

Thena said...

Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I am weak.

I feel like I never do enough, that I'm so easily distracted.
Wonderful review.

Kathleen said...

What rich undertakings! Between revivals and readings, I'm thinking your heart's been wrapped up in all things mighty. No doubt all things humbling as well.

Isn't it interesting how differently we read/look at a book we're readign to review? I don't know about you, but I find that read more intentionally, as though attempting to glean more closely those things needful by other would-be readers. It becomes work, but joyful work.

May the weekend hold some restful replenishment (and chocolate) for you!

Blessings to you & yours,
Kathleen

Toia said...

I love this post!! And thank you for suggesting Travis' book. Blessings to you!!

BECKY said...

Oh Beth, Truly our Lord is amazing, and so full of grace and love! How blessed we are to call Him friend!
I am so thankful that He is sovereign and that salvation isn't a reward of works.

That worship book sounds great...I love anything that teaches me more about our incredible God and our relationship with Him.

Have a joyful week, sweetie! Is your revival over yet? If not I pray for many souls to come to a saving knowledge of God, in Jesus mighty name!

Hugs n joy!
Becky