"... So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch."(Acts 11:26)
There were 2 things that defined who these early believers really were.
1. Everywhere they went, they talked about Jesus. They told anyone and everyone the good news. They fasted and prayed and they preached the Word of God. They were definitely not ashamed of the gospel.
2. They eagerly learned the scriptures. They were taught by Saul and Barnabas for a whole year. They desired to learn. They desired knowledge. They desired understanding.
The name Christian means 'an adherent to Christ'. Literally one who sticks to Christ. To be Christ-like. When we are striving to be like Him, there are certain things that should be taking place.
* Our lives should tell others about Jesus.
* We should be HUNGRY for God's Word.
* We should crave the Word of God like we crave chocolate..
* Our actions should bring glory and honor to Him.
* Our number 1 priority should be Jesus.
When we declare to others that we are Christians, we need to make certain that we can back our words up with some spiritual evidence. Actually, we shouldn't have to declare it, our lives should just show it.
It's so easy to hear things and profess things, but it's not always so easy to live out these same things on a daily basis. That's what makes our Christian walk so challenging. That's what makes our Christian life so rewarding. It takes effort. It takes perseverance. It takes determination.
I desire to be a Christian who is worthy of my calling. I desire for people to know that I am a follower of Christ by the life I lead. I want to seek Him more. I want to grow in knowledge. I want to walk where He would walk. I want to talk like He would talk. I want to love like He would love. When I gaze into the spiritual mirror, I want to see His reflection.
"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves." James 1:22