Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Do we Reverence the Sanctuary?

"You shall keep my Sabbaths and reverence My Sanctuary: I am the Lord"
(Leviticus 26:2)



reverence (def.) - a feeling of profound awe and respect.

Do we reverence the Sanctuary?

When we approach the sanctuary, are we filled with an overwhelming sense of awe? Are we humbled beyond belief with a deep respect for the House of God?

Or do we approach it without much of a thought at all. We just pull open the doors and walk in and begin talking with everyone we meet and then just saunter off to Sunday School in a totally irreverent state of mind. Chatting with friends along the way. Just boppin' along without a care or thought. Not really fully aware of what we are doing. Just walking by habit to the same room. Same people. Same routine...

Has church become just another routine? Something we just DO and we forget to stop and think about why we do it?

When we enter into the House of God. When we walk in the doors, we are entering into a place that is designated for the worship of our almighty Lord. We are entering the blessed and holy sanctuary of God. We are entering a place where we will meet with God.

As we walk through the doors, a HUGE sense of awe and respect should overpower us. A sense of abundant thankfulness. A sense of honor and humility. We should sense His presence and be blown away.

In reality, the first place that ought to draw us is the altar. The altar of God. Where we give thanks. Seek direction. Search our hearts. Cry out. Draw in. Praise. Worship. The altar of our Lord.

Once we have prepared our heart, then we would be fully ready and available for the Holy Spirit to move mightily. We would be soaked in the realization that we are in the Holy Sanctuary of God. We are truly in His presence. We have come to meet with Him and He is here!

What a privilege to be in the House of the Lord.

What an honor to be able to worship freely.

What a blessing to have a church house to gather in.

Precious Father, help me to never again take the awesome privilege of worship for granted. Help me to approach the church and sanctuary with a new respect and a new sense of awe. Help me to fully comprehend that when I walk through those doors, I am walking into Holy Ground. Your House. Your Sanctuary. Your Holy temple.

Thank you, Lord for the ability and freedom to worship. Thank you for your church. You are awesome and amazing. You are mighty and powerful. You fill me with wonder and delight. I love you sweet Lord. I honor and adore you. May I always reverence Your Sanctuary. In the sweet name of your precious Son, Jesus. Amen.







Beth

15 comments:

Nancy M. said...

Wow, I don't think I've ever read the real definition of reverence before. I definitely need to think of it in a different way!

Andrea said...

Great post!
Thanking GOD for the privilege of living in a free country where I can freely worship!
Hope you have a beautifully blessed Thanksgiving.
andrea

Yolanda said...

Beth, Honestly, that is where I've been of late and this is confirmation that God isn't just our friend (which He certainly is) but we are to fear Him and reverance Him. Love to you, and thank you for speaking truth. Yolanda

Jackie said...

Beth,
Your posts always bless me.......Just last Saturday I attended a ladies breakfast and my spirit was so grieved........As the speaker was praying with woman and ministering to their needs, the ladies in the rest of the room were so loudly "visiting" with one another we couldn't even hear around the alter. We finally just had to shush everyone in the room. The flow of ministry was interrupted and I know the Holy Spirit was grieved at how flippant and irreverent we have become.
Oh, how we need to have an awakening to how Holy our wonderful God is and how deeply we should reverence Him!

Praying that you and yours have a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving!

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

It is an honor that we can worship freely in this country. Many countries don't have the privilege to do so.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Debbie said...

Thank you Beth for stopping by. I too wish you a very Happy and Thankful Thanksgiving. Nathan is doing wonderful. Although his heart has not grown much, but neither has he. So as soon as he grows, I'm very hopeful that so will his heart. Blessings, Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Beth, for this beautifully inspired post. We ALL need this wake-up call! As I read your post, I thought of how the habits of greetings and chitter-chatter is ingrained in our gatherings. We need to pray for the Holy Spirit to reign in our lives and the lives of ALL other Christians as this needs to be a concerted act. As Jackie said in her comment, there are so many who grieve the Holy Spirit and others in the congregation. May we each and all seek Him Who is holy that we would be holy and remember that we are standing on holy ground at the altar of God.
May your Thanksgiving be a gathering of your sweet family and blessed with thanks for each of them and for God bringing Melissa home safely.
~ linda

Beth E. said...

What a privilege, indeed. Thank you for a great post. Most of all, thank you for your prayers for my family.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Beth

Alleluiabelle said...

Hi My Friend,

This is post touched me deeply, so deeply.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family. May God's love, grace, peace, comfort and joy rest over and all around you as you gather together on this very special day.

I love you Beth. You are very special to me and to so many dear sister. You truly are!

Peace, Love & Joy,
Alleluiabelle

Sandra said...

Even when I was a teenager and didn't go to church at all, I respected the preachers and church, but over the years people have lost that respect for the things of God and it IS because the people of God have lost it theirselves. Good post.

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

Happy Thanksgiving Beth! What a post!

Edie said...

"Thank you, Lord for the ability and freedom to worship." Amen.

I wanted to wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving my friend. Much love!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post....Taking a few hours to read some favorite blogs...one of my favorite things to do and something I have done very little of in recent days. You still have time to stop by my holiday blog and be eligible for 2 great giveaways.....
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

Toia said...

Stooping by to say Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you had a great one. Blessings to you!!!

Nana Jul said...

He is so Worthy!!
Excellent Post!
Happy Thanksgiving Beth! We have so much to be thankful for!
Love,
Julie