Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

A Godly mother and a little girl.

"Train up a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not depart from it"
(Proverbs 22:6)

My journey with God began almost before I can even remember. I have loved Jesus since I was a little girl. I can't recall ever NOT loving Him. It just seems like I was born knowing and loving my precious Lord.

Some of my earliest memories are of my mother reading her bible. I can still picture her spending time with the Lord. Reading and studying the word. Listening to sermon tapes. Going to seminars. My mother had a very evident relationship with Jesus and was most instrumental in the deepening love I developed for Christ. She lived her faith outloud. She made sure that me, my sister and my brother were raised in the Lord's house. We attended children's bible study and VBS.  We listend to Christian music. She exposed us early on to a life of Christianity and was a true example of it as well.

For that, I love her and will always be grateful. Because of my mother's love for the Lord, I was introduced to the One that would love me like no one else. I met my Savior and accepted His free gift of grace and eternal life.

I'd like to say that I have lived a perfect life since that time, but we all know that is impossible. And even though I never abandoned my faith, there were times when I abandoned my Jesus. I wasted a lot of years being a surface Christian. Not really understanding fully what it meant to enter into a real, love relationship with Christ. I just sorta skimmed the top and got what I could.

I thought that just being a Christian was enough and didn't give much thought to actually growing in my Christian walk. I spent many years in limbo. Coasting along the 'salvation highway' but not really going anywhere- destination unknown. I was reading His Word, but not devouring it. I was studying the bible, but not really hungering for it. I didn't realize the magnitude of the amazing love that could exist between me and Christ.

I mourn for all the lost years. I regret not falling so head-over-heels in love with Jesus sooner. I have come to love Him with such an overwhelming and all-consuming love.

He is the greatest joy and the biggest blessing in my life!

I can't fathom an existence without Him as my Lord and Savior.

The more I seek Him, the more I find Him and the more I love Him. As I know Him more, the deeper my longing for Him grows. I love to love Him.

My desire for righteousness and holiness stems from my desire to live a life that pleases Him. I want to be a servant of His, for His glory.

I can't make up for the years that I squandered away. I can't go back and redo those times when I was headed in the wrong direction or perhaps just standing still with NO direction.

But I can vow to live the rest of my life according to His Word. Following His commands. Obeying Him. Embarking on a journey of intimacy with Jesus. Being all that He saved me to be.

Glorifying Him.
Seeking Him.
Beholding my Lord.

I love you mama. With all that I am. Thank you.

Beth

12 comments:

Jeanette Levellie said...

Beth: What a lovely tribute to your mom. I'm sure she'll cry tears of joy when she reads it.

Jesus is proud of you for all the times you said "Yes" to Him; He forgets the "No's"

Love
Jen
Audience of ONE

Nancy said...

I had a mom like that. How grateful I am that she took me to church so faithfylly and showed me how important that lifestyle is. She is a wonderful lady.

Do you have on your blog how you came back from your wanderings? I'm sure many people would like to know. Blessings on you.

Tammy said...

My mom was alot like yours, but as a young person I thought she was wasting her time with all the God stuff. I soon learned that it was me who was wasting time.

Our God is so patience!

love and hugs~Tammy

Nana Jul said...

What a wonderful example you had! And every part of your life has shaped you and molded you into who you are today. Beautiful. Exactly where Jesus wants you...Seeking Him! Loving Him! Putting Him first!
Love ya,
Julie

Karen Hossink said...

Oh, Beth. Thanks for this. I did not grow up with a mom who loves God passionately. I thought God lived at church, cuz that's the only place I ever really heard about Him.
So I don't know what it looks like to raise your girl to know Him!
You give me hope that showing my love for God is what I need to be doing.
Yes. Yes! We talk about Him. We pray. God is part of our every day. But it's so good to hear from you that what you saw in your mom was so important in your life.

I often am sorry for the wasted years, too. But rather than spend my time regretting, I try to be thankful for His patient pursuit of me. He is so good!

Beth E. said...

What a beautiful post. Praise God for your wonderful mother, and praise God for YOU. You are a blessing!

Hugs,
Beth

Yolanda said...

Beth, I love you for being like that with me, living your faith out loud. Hungering for the deeper things of God, and being such a precious Mother and Grandmother yourself. I'm not your blood sister, but I love you as if I was.

I heart you this Valentine's Eve,
Yolanda

Wylie @ Shout A Joyful Noise! said...

Amen! What a blessed example you watching your faithful mother! God is so good!
Wylie

TRUTH SHARER said...

What a mother's heart should give and what a daughter's heart should find! Wow! You are blessed!

I did not have a Christian mother to lead me as I am a first generation believer in my family! But I desire to be a light to my family the way your mother was to you!

Very special post and humble reminder to us all that somebody is watching our life! May our lives be WORTHY to be imitated [for Jesus' sake alone]!!

Hers was -and so is yours dear Beth! You are such a blessing to us all!

{{Hugs}}
Stephanie
JESUS ONLY in 2010

Ella said...

Praise the Lord for Christian Mom's training up their children in the way that they should go....I thank the Lord when I was in my desert season I had a Mom who was on her knee's.
God is so Faithful.
Blessings, Ella

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

This is a beautiful testimony to God's faithfulness woven through your life. Thank you for sharing! You are a dear soul (and so is that Mama of yours!!).

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Thank God for lovin' mamas who pray over their youngens'. Most of us have some of those 'wasted' years under our belts but we learn and come back even stronger. There's no lookin' back, God wants us to take what we've learned and move forward using our love as a verb. I'm so glad I popped in.

From the hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa, ya'll have a wonderfully blessed day!!!