Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Dive into the Deep Water

"When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, "Launch out into the deep and let down your nets" (Luke 5:4)

It's sad how we can get so complacent in our spiritual walk that before we realize it we are either standing still or even sliding backwards.

We don't intend for this to happen and sometimes we aren't even sure when it started or even how it started. All we know is that we aren't going where we need to be.

Truth is, if we aren't actively moving ourselves forward with Jesus, that's exactly where we are headed. Wading on the shores of the water of life becoming stagnant and stale.

In my own life, Jesus is calling me to a more intimate relationship with Him.

He is drawing me day by day to a deeper knowledge of who He is.

He is purging my sinful nature.

He is purifying my thoughts.

He is prioritizing my actions.

He is calling me into deeper water.

I have enjoyed the shallow end of the pool of life for too long. The shallow end is fine when were are little children. It's the right depth for us at that point in our lives. As we grow and mature, we require deeper water to afford us the same level of pleasure of enjoyment or activity.

As Christians, we can only hang out in the shallow end for so long. If we are to continue in our quest to seek Him for bigger things, we need some "bigger water"! Amen?

I am no longer satisfied with my pitiful knowledge of who Christ really is. I crave to know Him more! I long for a greater awareness of my God. I desire to grow each day to a deeper understanding of my Creator.

Just as Jesus called Peter to the deeper water, He is beckoning me and you to join Him there.

I know He has a much greater plan for our lives. I know He desires greater things for all of us.

He desire us to have a deeper:

Hunger

Longing

Yearning

He desires us to:

Seek deeper

Find deeper

Grow deeper

Whatever it takes to get me to the deeper water is what I'll do. I'll get out of the shallow wading pool and dive into the deep. I'll swim, take a boat or walk on the water if I have to.

I will head to the deep water in sweet anticipation of what He can do and full of marvelous joy at the prospect of Him doing it!

Humbly I bow in awe and adoration. Moving in to deeper water, I keep my eyes on Him.

Beth

15 comments:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

You are so passionate about the Lord and it really shines through! I too want to deepen my relationship but find it hard with small children. However, this post has encouraged me to do more to invest in my love for the Lord.
Love Collette xxxx

Loren said...

Complacency is a place that happens and you don't even realize your are there. It is like satan, subtle day by day not being on fire and then there you are in a complacent walk. Just as you have described ~ stagnant and stale.

We were at a place in our lives as you have described and it took us walking out of our traditional church to wake up. We were so hungry and wanted more and felt God calling us to learn more and we just couldn't receive that where we were. So we went to a tiny little house church but WOW! It was the most ANOINTED time in our lives and we have grown so much spiritually than any other time in our lives! It has blessed our whole family in ways to numerous to mention! The Spiritual gifts that the LORD has given each one of us have been revealed instead of stuffed and the Wisdom and Knowledge about relationship(with Jesus) has been more than we could have ever asked or imagined it to be. We are so thankful for all that our church gave us and know that was where we were to be in that season of our life but seasons change and we are soo thankful for all HE is doing and showing us!

I am soo glad he is doing the same in and through you! It shows everyday in this blog and in your heart!

I love you my sweet dear friend

Yolanda said...

Ah Sovereign Lord, NOTHING is too hard for You.

Love you as well my precious F. Friend.

Unknown said...

Between your post and my Bible study (Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed - Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore and Kay Arthur...I KNOW! :) I am so convicted...I'm working on it and I have so far to go. You're an inspiration, though and I am grateful for your encouraging and uplifting words that help guide me closer to God. Thank you for allowing Him to speak through you! <3

Heart2Heart said...

Beth,

This is so true that even when you are teaching a child to swim, they must get to the point where they can trust they can make it in deeper waters. We too, need to trust God that we can make it where He has called us to go and have faith that we can walk on water if we keep our eyes on Him.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Nana Jul said...

Beth,
Thank you so much for praying and believing with me for my healing! Thank you for being an instrument 4 His Glory! I praise God for healing me in 1 day! One! I am still Praising His Mighty Name! Jesus! You bless us all with your insight and depth...Lord take us all deeper with you!
Love Julie

Lisa said...

Running though my mind is the Steven Curtis Chapman song that says, "I'm diving in
I'm going deep
In over my head I wanna be
Caught in the rush
Lost in the flow
In over my head I wanna go
The river's deep
The river's wide
The river's water is alive
So sink or swim
I'm diving in".

I join with you in saying, no more shallow waters, I'm diving in!

Blessings ~ Lisa

Beth in NC said...

Hi Sweet Friend. I have had several spiritual dreams over the years where I was in water. Even if it was shallow or deep -- if I panicked and fought the current, I would almost go under (as if I couldn't swim). But when I trusted God and gave into the current, I floated with no effort at all.

I pray you will float and easily follow the current of the deeper waters. Praise God for your willing heart!

Love,
Beth

Kathleen said...

Perhaps it's come with age, but the deeper and more intentional side of faith is far more important than it has ever been.

Even above church-going, or scripture reading, or acts of service ... sitting in His presence cannot be equalled. And knowing Him far superior to knowing about Him, and certainly far more superior than the many things (some even silly) that once occupied so much of my time and heart.

This is a such a needful remnder, and so beautifully put. Thank you.

Kathleen

Sandra said...

Just Sunday our preacher was talking about how many Christians are just ordinary and how he did not want to be just ordinary. I don't either. It's scarey to wade out into those deep waters, but that is the only place we'll find true contentment.

TRUTH SHARER said...

Challenging post, Beth.

You said:
"Truth is, if we aren't actively moving ourselves forward with Jesus, that's exactly where we are headed. Wading on the shores of the water of life becoming stagnant and stale."

I know - I don't want to wade - I want more of JESUS! I desire to PLUNGE daily into those deep waters with HIM!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie
[JESUS - For His Name's Sake]

PS: I have a FREE GIVEAWAY on my blog - for a BOOK that will help sink us deep into those waters!

Denise said...

Hi Beth! I am back from Ecuador and still praying for Melissa! I hope that she will one day write about her journey!

This post speaks volumes to this weary one who has been wading on the shores way too long! :O)

Deep waters are beckoning - the currents are calling me on - moving on in this River of Life!

Shalom,
Denise

Laurie said...

I constantly pray that God would help keep me from complacency. I think it is so easy to settle in. I too desire to go deeper w/God. I love your hunger for the Lord, Laurie

Nancy M. said...

Let's go swimming! Amen!

LisaShaw said...

Yes, Amen. He is calling me too Beth into deeper, deeper deeper still with HIM. Thank you for sharing.

Love and blessings dear friend.