Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

My daughter the Missionary

My heart is torn right now between feeling joy and sadness. I just left the Baton Rouge airport and in 15 minutes an airplane carrying my daughter, Melissa, will take off and she won't reach her final destinationof Mesken, Cameroon, Africa, until sometime early Sunday morning.


I am filled with joy at the very notion that my precious child has a heart for missions. I am filled with joy that she overcame many obstacles to get to this point in her life. I am filled with joy that she will spend the next 9 weeks ministering to others and doing things way out of her comfort zone.


My sadness comes as I realize that my child will be a very long way from home. My sadness comes as I know how much I will miss her in the next 9 weeks. My sadness comes as I realize I have no control over what could happen to her from this point forward.


Melissa will be volunteering for Medical Centers of West Africa. She will be in a muslim country dealing with muslim people and traditions. She will be working very closely with the patients and their families. She is going to be involved in something that she has never experienced before. This is a wonderful chance for her to work in the medical missions profession, as this is what she wants to do once she gets her medical degree.


I am so proud of the decision she made to apply for this opportunity and very proud of the fact she was accepted and did what she had to do to make it possible. She will not only be working at the hospital, but will have the chance to minister and share the gospel with many people. She will be living out the Great Commission.


The last thing that our precious Lord told us before He ascended to heaven, was to go into all the world and preach the gospel. That is our mission. That is our privilege as Christians. That is what we were made to do.


I've been thinking alot about witnessing lately. My friend J.D. was probably the most awesome and most dilligent person I know as far as sharing the gospel. He witnessed in the ambulance. He witnessed in the hospital. He witnessed at his house to the man who delivered his hospital bed and won him to Christ just one week before he died. At J.D.'s funeral, 2 people were saved. He even witnessed in his death. He was a true disciple of Christ. He lived his faith out loud.


I want to be more eager and willing to share the gospel of Christ with others. I want to minister more to the needs of other people. I want to be more observant of those around me and be more discerning of peoples hearts.


I desire a heart for Jesus. I desire a heart for ministry. I desire a deeper love for my Savior.


Oh, sweet Father, send your Holy presence down upon me and make my heart more like yours. Fill my heart with love for others, hunger for You, desire for ministering and contagious joy.


".... for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" (Ephesians 4:12)





Beth

18 comments:

Beth E. said...

Beth,
I will most certainly be praying for Melissa...for her safety and protection, for her mission, for her heart for the Lord, for her success on this trip!

Praying, too, for you and your husband, as you await your daughter's safe return.

Blessings,
Beth

Nancy M. said...

That is so awesome! My friend's daughter who is 17 is wanting to become a missionary. It's such a noble calling. We all should want a serving heart. I'll be praying for Melissa and hope that she is able to help many people!

Kathleen said...

Thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving such a warm comment. I am blessed.

I must say my heart-strings stretched a bit to think of releasing a child (God's child even) to work in Africa. What a bold and wonderful work your daughter has undertaken, and what a bold and wonderful freeing you've granted her.

Your desire to witness in a greater way touched me too. It is a prayer I pray myself, reminding myself that He not only perfects that which concerns me/us, but He grants the desires of our heart. Something tells me doors will open and opportunities will be many.

Be blessed,
Kathleen

Every Day Blessings said...

Beth,
I will be praying for your daughter. I know this is such a bitter/sweet time for you. I am so excited for her at the same time sad for you.We will pray that God gives you peace as you release her every day into his hands and We will pray that this is life changing for her.
debbie

Debbie said...

Thanks so much Beth, it means so much to know people are praying for my little grandson. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be, but I know who watches over him. And he will your daughter too. You and your family will be in my prayers for her safe return into your arms. Debbie

Denise said...

Beth, I thank you for your prayers as I prepare to leave (in a few hours) for Ecuador on my mission trip. I, too, will be praying for Melissa as she begins her mission journey in Cameroon and for her mommy as she begins her "waiting" moments. Looking forward to hearing all that Melissa is sharing and enjoying.

Shalom,
Denise

Laurie said...

Beth,
I completely understand your heart. I can only imagine how a mother feels when your child chooses the path God has, a path that takes them farther away from you, yet closer to Him. I will pray for Melissa and you during this time- for your comfort, peace, and Melissa's strength and safety. How precious is her choice!
Love, Laurie

beckyjomama said...

I will be praying for Melissa - and her mama too! We want to shelter and protect them, but we also want the world for them. It is a complex thing, this mothering.

Joan Carr said...

Ms Beth
Oh what an honor and humbling experience for you to have your child used by God. Can't wait to hear great and mighty things of what God is doing. I will be praying for her and your family and for Gods will to be accomplished.
In, With, & Through Christ
Joan Carr

TRUTH SHARER said...

Beth ---
Here we go again..... God doing similar things in our lives. I pray great blessing and favor over Melissa as she takes the gospel to Africa and beyond and that her medical volunteering will prove fruitful in whatever lives she is able to touch.

My oldest daughter is a pharmacist in FL - but soon to leave for the mission field too [Haiti]. But take a peak at my blog post:

TRUTHSHARER: If You Could've Heard Her Scream...

for today and see what happens to little girls - even before they grow up. Don't miss the last paragraph about having no control over our children - they are in God's hands now!!

Love you... Stephanie

Edie said...

Praying for you and your daughter. What a wonderful work God has given her, and you my friend.

You have an incredible ministry as you pray people through their circumstances. That is a sacrificial and loving ministry.

Just as was on my way over here I was thinking of the words "equipping you for ministry" and then saw the scripture you ended with. :)

There is an award for you on my blog dear friend.

christy rose said...

I will be praying for Melissa and for you. I believe she is going to touch so many people for Jesus and her life will never be the same.
God bless you and your family,
christy

Anonymous said...

I echo the many other comments here, Beth. Melissa is in my prayers, lifted high to our LORD. An honor, indeed, to serve the LORD in Africa, to glorify Him through the light He has given her.
~ linda

Susan said...

Hey Beth,

I'm from LA too! I live in BR.

I know the feelings you are having.

My oldest son spent a year in Aghanistan (with Army) and my next son is traveling around the world now.

He's be in 8 different countries. He just arrived in Egypt 2 days ago. (he teaches English).

God will be with your daughter. Her life will never be the same once she returns.

In a very, very good way.

What a special young lady you have raised!

I'll be praying for her and you too mom♥

Nancy said...

Beth - I share your joy and concern. How wonderful that a child of yours will be witnessing and helping others through the medical field. What inner joy you much have about that. I will add Melissa to my prayer list. Hope you will let us in on her stories when she comes back.

Anonymous said...

Beth, I didn't get to sit down and read this post...until today...but I did see it on my dashboard Saturday...I want you to know that you and your family are in my prayers, along with Melissa as she goes to grow closer to our Father and work for Him. She is a light to me that she is a willing vessel for our Father...

Blessings
Tessa

Anonymous said...

Oh Bitter sweet news! God certainly calls us to exciting lives!!!

Deb said...

I will pray for both you and your daughter.

Specifically some verses of protection over Melissa from John 17.

Protect her by the power of Your name, the name of Jesus.

Protect her from the evil one.

In Jesus' name. His holy name. Precious name. The One who is faithful and true. The One who was and is and is to come.

Amen.

Sweet dreams.