Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

Little Slumber or Big Savior?

“Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The Spirit indeed is willing but the flesh is weak” (Matthew 26:41)

Each time I read this passage of scripture that takes place in the garden of Gethsemane, it astonishes me that Peter and the 2 disciples with him, fell asleep after Jesus told them to “watch and pray”.

I’m thinking, “Peter! Really? Jesus asks you to stay awake and pray, yet you fall asleep not once, but three times!”

It just amazes me that a little slumber was more enticing than a big Savior.

The temptation was too great.
The flesh was too weak.
The adversary was too great.

“And do not lead us into temptation but deliver us from the evil one” (Matthew 6:13)

God knows that our flesh is weak. Without reinforcement that comes from Him, we are no match for the devil and his forces.

Even when our spirits are ready and willing, on our own we don’t have the power needed to conquer temptation.

The Word of God enables us to be aware of the need for our utter dependence on God. We must learn to rely on Him in all things. Lean on Him at all times. Depend on Him in every circumstance.

Apart from God we can’t be guarded against the wiles of the devil.

He is the ultimate weapon that we need to protect ourselves.

He is the strength that we need for the battle.

“No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13)

We are reminded here that our God is faithful. When we come up against the temptations of this world, He makes a way of escape. He provides an alternative. He enables us to stand. Praise His Holy name! He is always there for us.

Our job is to be vigilant. Our job is to be prayerful. We must keep watch and we must stay alert. We must clothe ourselves in the Word of God and allow His Spirit to surround us with His strength and His peace.

Arm ourselves with the word.

Acknowledge the omnipotence of God.

Abound in His presence.

Abide in His love.

Answer the battle cry with His promises!

“But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one” (2 Thessalonians 3:3)

Thank you Father for your watch over us! Thank you Father for your protection. Thank you for delivering us from the things that threaten to overtake us. Thank you for loving us. Help us dear Lord to stay awake on our watch. You are mighty and powerful. You are faithful. You are our strength. You are God.

Beth

12 comments:

RCUBEs said...

When we become His child, the battle is ON! But if we clothe ourselves with Christ and don His armor, only then we are able to claim the victory that He already won! My favorite part of the Armor is the "sWORD"...God bless. May we all be able to stand in these evil days.

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

I think at times we all have a bit of Peter in us! Thank you for reminding me that I can do nothing apart from Christ!

Sharon said...

Yes I agree the temptation can be so powerful at times, really very hard, but those that carry his word in our hearts and in our hands will have the greatest weapon of them all.

Great post
Have a Blessed week

Yolanda said...

Yes Lord, oh yes.

Skoots1moM said...

YES, YES...
answer with His promises...He will NOT fail.
I'm so thankful we have His promises and that He is steadfast.
thx 4 sharing...

Heart2Heart said...

Beth,

We need to also guard ourselves not to place ourselves in a situation to be tempted. I don't know how many people we have spoken with that have fallen away by being in the very situation that would tempt them away. Their over confidence in their spiritual walk was not enough to win the war even when fully armed.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Beth E. said...

Amen...you speak the truth, Beth!

How important it is that we put on the full armor of God!

Joan Carr said...

Thank You for reminding me that God has made a way, and that we need to saturates ourselves in the Word. I needed this today.

It truly is amazing how God reminds us of what we are and what we need to be doing.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Beth, we must be ever vigilant to watch and pray. Thank you for always encourage us :)
Blessings,
Miriam

Laurie said...

Amen,
Echoing your prayer! I look at my little ones sleeping a lot and think of the battle for them ahead. I pray that God would surround them and draw them in such a way that they would live passionatle for Him! Love and blessings sis, Laurie

LisaShaw said...

"Our job is to be vigilant. Our job is to be prayerful. We must keep watch and we must stay alert. We must clothe ourselves in the Word of God and allow His Spirit to surround us with His strength and His peace."

What you said above, says it all for me dear sister.

I remember when I was a child at Revival week at our church. I was so tired as I had school during the day. I was in the 5th grade (I still remember this) and I fell asleep on the pew. I mean out cold through the entire service!!!

When we arrived back at my Grandparents home Grandma told me the story of Jesus praying in the Garden and how his disciples did not/could not keep watch and pray as their flesh was weak. They loved him but their flesh was weak. She encouraged me to hunger more for HIM than for anything else.

She did not chastise me but she did encourage me of the importance of prayer and being alert, watchful and ready. Her incredible lesson has walked me ever since.

Love your heart to share with us the POWER OF GOD'S WORD!

Love you.

Lisa said...

This week I saw first hand how Satan is really after our children. I recognized I must do battle on my knees for my son. Praise God we have a big Savior who is all we need.
Blessings ~ Lisa