Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Standing Firm

As I was doing my daily bible reading this morning I got to this scripture and just had to stop.

Luke 11:53-54
"And as He said these things to them, the scribes and Pharisees began to assail Him vehemently and to cross-examine Him about many things, lying in wait for Him and seeking to catch Him in something He might say, that they might accuse Him"

Oh, my.. When I read this last part my heart just broke because I realize that this is how the world is today. That as Christians in today's society we have 2 accusers:

1. the devil
2. the world

Both are just lying in wait, biding their time and looking for such an opportunity to pounce on us when they think they have "caught" us in something.

Being a Christian in a not-so-Christian world is hard. We are always being watched under a microscope. We are held to higher standards than others are. We have to be on our toes 24-7 so as not to fall into the devils snare and get eaten alive by the world.

It's not so much that it's hard living a Christian life - it's just that the world is so anxious to prove us wrong and trip us up that they can take nothing and make it something. They can take an innocent occurrence and make it a guilty one. They can turn the tables in a heartbeat and change the outcome of a situation. So what are we as sojourners on the Christian walk to do?

1. Stay focused. Keep our mind on Christ and in Christ.
2. Pray without ceasing - a continual state of prayer.
3. Stay in God's Word - hide it in our hearts.
4. Don't let the world distract you from your mission.
5. Rejoice in everything!
6. Stayed churched (very important)

It is so important to be in fellowship with other believers. We get strength from one another. We draw that feeling of unity and oneness in the Spirit from each other. We share that bond of Christ that is beyond comparison to any other bond.

When we stay in Christian fellowship, we can leave the doors of the church ready to face those who are against us. Those who oppose us. We can stand strong. We can stand united. We can be the light of the world. Burning for Jesus. Burning with a contagious flame.

Thank you Lord for your word and that it ALWAYS speaks to my heart. Help me to stand firm in my faith - unmoveable - unwavering. Shining bright. Let my light be contagious.

Joyfully His,
Beth

10 comments:

Yolanda said...

Beth, very timely words!

Love,
Yolanda

petrii said...

"Burning with a contagious flame" I love that Beth!!

That is what I want to be as a Christian -- contagious!!!

Have a Blessed day friend,
Dawn

Stephanie said...

Beth thank you so much for these words today,I have noticed that through my daily time with the Lord there are days that something will come about that will cause me to get out of focus.There are days that my daughter will say something to me and she will be like be careful what you say cause preachers can only talk a certain way.Since I have accepted the calling that God has given me I have noticed that we as Christians are truly on the battlefield for our Lord and Savior.

Lisa said...

As believers we must stand "shoulder to shoulder". That's when we are the strongest, when the ranks cannot be penetrated.

Thank You for praying for me yesterday as I shared Jesus with my friend. The seed has been sown and I continue to water and pray for her salvation. Please keep her in your prayers.

Blessings - Lisa

Anonymous said...

Beth,
AMEN! So true!
I am thankful for your encouraging words!
Blessings,
Miriam

TRUTH SHARER said...

Awesome post, Beth! Take up our SHIELDS [1-2-3-4-5] and engage!

I just read this passage myself before I read your post!

1 Peter 2:11-12 [The Message]Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they'll be won over to God's side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives.

Looking Upward and Choosing JOY,
Stephanie

Beth Herring said...

I just love all of you so much! You are so encouraging to me as I go about my daily life.

Thanks so much,
Beth

Beth in NC said...

So true! We are always being watched. Even when people aren't looking, the enemy is always taking notes, looking for a legal right. Argh.

God give all of us strength and wisdom.

Love,
Beth

Mary Moss said...

You're so right: Christian fellowship is vital to our walk.

A Stone Gatherer said...

Wonderful post! #6 reminded me of one of the passages of scripture I have memorized: Hebrews 10:23-25, especially the part that says "let us not give up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing". It is so important to stay connected to the body of Christ and allow that body to minister to us in all ways!